Wednesday, October 19, 2011

ROW80 Wednesday Check In

After two weeks with ROW80 I'm doing well on some goals and falling behind on others. Having said that, I will say that ROW80 has helped me complete the revised proposal for my customer service book, get re-started on my techo-thriller, and query some of my other completed work. I have also been reading much more about the craft of writing and have been expanding my on-line presence (although not as much as I would like).

Here then is an update on my goals:

1) Read three writing magazines each month: I've read one so far this month and am in the middle of another.

2) Participate in Three Writer's Digest On-Line Seminars: I almost signed up for a webinar on finding an agent, but it was $90 and I wasn't sure it was worth it. I went to the library and borrowed a book on the same topic. I'm sure I'd get more out of webinar, but I don't think I have the attention span for one either. I may drop this goal.

3) Write One Short Story or Article Each Month: I've been doing a lot of rewriting/reworking.

4) One Submission/Query a Day: I queried my book, an article, and two short stories. Not one a day, but they are taking longer to write than I originally thought.

5) Three Blog Entries/Week for This Blog and My Customer Service Blog: I've nailed this and have been on a roll. I also discovered the #custserv hashtag and have those in the customer service business reading and commenting on my customer service blog (http://zenofcustomerservice.blogspot.com)

6) Sign Up For a Spring Semester Class: Nothing yet.

7) Customer Service / Techno-Thriller Book: Last week I was stuck on my prologue. I am now 1/2 through the second chapter. By next week I hope to be through chapter three. Haven' t done much on my customer service book since finishing the proposal.

8) Read Three Craft Books: Read the second chapter of The Art of Compelling Fiction.

9) Read More Fiction: Reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown since his work is similar to what I'm trying to write. I also checked out a collection of short stories by Raymond Carver and EL Doctorow.

10) Read More Blogs/Emails: I've been reading a lot of blogs, and have started to catch up on some of the many emails I get on a daily basis. It's been somewhat of a morning routine.

I will probably spend the day working on my ROW80 goals and will update this post later.

4 comments:

  1. I say you're doing very well. This is not a competition and we shouldn't feel bad about failing behind in some goals. What matters is progress and you have made progress ;)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Juliana, all progress is good. And it's nice to have a man in our group as there seem to be so few of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought I was busy. Whew!

    Sounds like you're doing great. Good stuff!

    I have a stack of WD mags and several writing books awaiting my attention. Thanks for the encouragement to get at it.

    And daily submissions/queries...Wow!

    Keep up the good work.

    TTFN

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you're doing well, best of luck for the week.

    ReplyDelete